Sunday, October 16, 2016

Watercolor Practices

Here are random watercolor pieces I've worked on so far prior to taking any classes.

I painted this one while I was still in Morocco during the summer. The learning experience I got from this piece is not to over paint. It's like that cliche saying, "Less is more". Well less is definitely more with water coloring. The thing with watercolor is that the paper is used as the white and light source. If you over paint the painting and leave little to no light source, It'll end up looking dull like you see in the rose painting below. Like for the glass jar, instead of painting white over the areas where white was supposed to be, not painting over the white paper would've made it a lot more realistic if that makes any sense.




I painted this piece in Morocco as well and you can see the similarity in dullness with the rose painting in the hummingbird specifically. I kept going over it with different colors which ended up making it look muddy almost. But as a beginners piece, it doesn't look bad overall.




These are some of the pieces I worked on when I was back in NY. In the piece with the mountains, I was practicing perspective and distance techniques. I realized this was a technique used in drawing as well. Especially when dealing with landscapes, in order to get a distance effect, you paint or draw lighter. As the object is closer to view, it becomes more detailed and/ or darker like you see with the trees in this piece. 








In the beach painting, I was more successful in allowing the white background paper to be the light source for the image.





Finally, one of my most recent pieces I painted of a still life. When I saw this piece on thefrugalcrafter's page, I knew I had to paint it. First, I love tea so much I think I'm addicted. Second, the design on the teacup was just so pretty I couldn't not at least try to paint it.




No comments:

Post a Comment