Monday, October 3, 2016

A change in perspective

Summer 2016, my sister and I visited Morocco. My Mom's side of the family is Moroccan, so it was sooo awesome seeing them all. On our way there, I was being typical me and taking pictures of the scenery and what not. Except this time, I was viewing my photos different than normal. Everything I took a picture of became "something I can water color".

*back story*
At School Without Walls, we have a class called Extended class. This class is pretty much like a home room and each class goes by topic. This year, for example, I'm in Mariana's extended class and our topic is Drama/Theater. I chose to be in this class 1. because Mariana was the extended class teacher <3 and 2. not because I enjoy acting because I don't at all, but because I'm interested in what happens behind the scenes like with the back drop and special effects. So not surprisingly, I was in Mariana's extended class in 10th grade as well. In my sophomore year, I believe our class topic was Villains. But one of the topics we discussed/went over was analyzing film. I enjoyed it so much. I don't know if it was only that interesting because Mar taught it to us (she can make the most boringest book sound like the best book in the world lol) or if it really was that interesting, Anyways, point of the story is for a good while after that class, anytime I'd be watching a film, I'd catch my self analyzing it. I actually still have a prezi presentation from that class that you can check out if you're interested. 

https://prezi.com/gksl7fkyekih/untitled-prezi/

Back to original story:
So my perspective on scenery and pictures began to change. And it reminded me of the time when I started looking at films through a different lens as well. Before I went to Morocco, my amazing art teacher, Mrs. Elisa, bought me a travel friendly watercoloring palette and pad so I can experiment on my own before the classes started in the fall (so sweet of her <3). When I got to Morocco, I wasn't prepared yet to start painting just by looking at the view, so I actually found this Youtuber that goes by the name "thefrugalcrafter" and I began following her tutorials. Here are a few of my first pieces.

(I painted this piece sometime in July and it was my first time experimenting with watercolor)





2 comments: