Tuesday, January 10, 2017

First Class With Laurence E. Keefe!

Today was my first class with Larry. I loved it! The thing I still find a little intimidating about watercolor is that I still struggle with the control aspect. And one of the first things Larry said at the beginning of class was that he was going to teach us how to control our work, basically making the paint do what we want it to do. EXACTLY WHAT I NEED. Since it is a beginnings class, some of the stuff we discusses today was kind of review for me but I did learn a lot. For example, the rigger brush should be used for the last part of any piece (for details). We can live off of using two color in water color and they are: Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue. We played around with the round and flat brushes.

We also learned how to do the beaded wash. This method works best when trying to paint an area with the least amount of texture as possible. All you have to do is load your round paintbrush with paint/water. While the paper is on an angle, you just go from right to left and left to right on dry paper. The key is to never go back in an area you've already painting. For the circle exercise, we were asked to paint the circle with the least texture as possible. We did this before the beaded exercise. Since I already have a little experience with watercolor, it's hard tell that the circle on the bottom is the one I did before he demonstrated. I honestly cannot wait until next class.


No comments:

Post a Comment